Instacart delivers alcohol for select retailers and markets. You can check availability in your area on our app or website.
Some legal restrictions apply to alcohol orders—
- Customers must be 21 or older to order alcohol items and provide an approved photo ID showing their birthdate at delivery.
- If an alcohol item is out of stock, your shopper will contact you to approve a replacement. If the shopper doesn’t get approval, they’ll refund the items.
- Shoppers can only add alcohol to replace other alcohol items.
We don't deliver alcohol to retail businesses (ex. grocery stores, gas stations, etc.), restaurants, or college campuses. We deliver alcohol to non-retail businesses.
Shoppers must deliver to recipients who are 21 or older. Your shopper verifies your age and scans the front and/or back of your ID when they deliver. In some cases, the shopper can also enter your information manually. Your information isn’t stored on shoppers’ personal devices. Some states require a signature before the alcohol can be delivered.
Special restrictions include—
- Manual ID entry is unavailable for orders in California or Costco or Walmart orders nationwide.
- We can’t deliver alcohol to visibly intoxicated persons or leave alcohol unattended.
- We can’t deliver alcohol if the customer doesn’t meet all delivery requirements. In these cases, we refund the alcohol and return it to the store. The customer may still be charged delivery fees, bottle deposit fees, or tips.
Damaged alcohol items
Instacart provides a refund, credit, or redelivery if the shopper damaged the alcohol item due to—
- Shattered or cracked glass
- Broken seal
- Missing or tampered label
- Poor bagging leading to damaged item(s)
Contact Instacart Customer Experience for assistance with damaged alcohol items.
Valid forms of identification (ID)
Instacart accepts these valid forms of ID for alcohol deliveries—
- United States-issued driver's license with photo
- United States-issued military ID
- State-issued identification card
- United States-issued passport*
- Green card**
*Instacart doesn’t accept passports for most California orders or Costco or Walmart orders nationwide.
**Instacart doesn’t accept green cards for orders in California, Washington, Missouri, and Minnesota, or Costco or Walmart orders nationwide.